PhD, South Australian School of Art, UniSA, Adelaide
Master of Fine Art (Research), Victorian College of the Arts, Melbourne
Bachelor of Fine Art (Honours), Victorian College of the Arts, Melbourne
Selected Exhibition Projects
- Pamplemousses Garden, FELTspace ARI, Adelaide
- ACE x KBF Pepper House Residency, Fort Kochi, India
- Conflict Zones, Partage residency exhibition, Institute de Francais, Mauritius.
- The Scene is the Seen, Holy Rollers Studios, Adelaide.
- Unmoored Memories, Sauerbier House, South Australia.
- Heysen Prize (finalist), Hahndorf Academy, SA
- Word, Hugo Michell Gallery, SA.
- Wild, Hawkesbury Regional Gallery, NSW
- Spurious Natures, solo show at Hugo Michell Gallery.
- Under the Spirit Light, Gallery Flaneur, Adelaide.
- Bridge, group show, Harts Mill, Port Adelaide
- Feltspace auction show.
- This Wild Song group show at Gallery Smith.
- Grain, Harts Mill, Port Adelaide
- The End and What Came After, Adelaide Town Hall.
- Sue Kneebone, Art Gallery of South Australia
- Border Crossings, Galway Contemporary Art Centre, Galway Festival of Arts
- Silent Nature, Jam Factory exhibition at Sepptlesfield.
- Illusions of History, group exhibition, Hugo Michell Gallery, Adelaide
- Border Crossings, SASA Gallery, University of South Australia, curator Mary Knights
- Penumbral Tales, Flinders University City Gallery, Adelaide.
- Spell Dust and Moral Ruins, for CACSA Contemporary 2015, ACSA Gallery
- Ghostly Natures, Adelaide Town Hall.
- Deadpan, Fontanelle ARI, Adelaide
- Melbourne Art Fair, CACSA project space.
- 135th Meridian East, Australian Experimental Art Foundation, Adelaide
- The Archaelogy of Descent, Marshall Arts, Adelaide.
- Testing Ground, Flinders University Art Museum, Adelaide, curated by Julie Gough
- Dark Manners, CACSA, Adelaide (solo)
- The Mineral Kingdom, South Australian Museum (solo)
- Testing Ground, Long Gallery, Salamanca Arts Centre, Hobart, curated by Julie Gough
- Eagle Lane, Public Art light box commission, Brisbane, Qld.
- CACSA Contemporary: New SA Art, North Terrace
- Shimmer Photography Festival, City of Onkaparinga
- Echoes of Others, Human Rights Arts & Film Festival, Melbourne
- Forces of Nature, Australian Embassy, Washington, US
- Heysen Sculpture Biennial, The Cedars, Hahndorf
- ArtRoom 5
- SALA Festival, Art Gallery of South Australia
- Anachronism Gardenism, Centennial Park, Sydney
- Materials and Histories, ArtRoom5, Adelaide
- Aura: The Haunted Image, Level 17 Artspace, Victoria University, Melbourne
- New New, CACSA Contemporary, North Tce, Adelaide.
- Naturally Disturbed, SASA Gallery, University of South Australia (solo)
- Border Crossings, Human Rights Visual Art and Film Festival, Format Collective Gallery, SA.
- Art West Festival, Adelaide, SA
- Adaptation, satellite exhibition, Murray Darling Palimpsest, Palmer, SA.
- Angelfire, Felt Art Space, Adelaide, SA (solo)
- Hideout, Seedling Art Space, (solo)
- Terra Spiritalis, Murray Bridge Art Gallery, SA
- Palmer Sculpture Biennial, Palmer, SA
- Williamstown Festival Contemporary Art Prize, Melbourne
- City of Hobart Art Prize, Hobart
- 2×20 Parslow Street Studios, Counihan Gallery, Melbourne
- My Reality, Cube 37, Frankston Arts Centre, Victoria
- World Year of Physics Art Prize, Macquarie University Art Gallery, NSW.
- Re>Growth, temporal public art works, Redlands Art Gallery, Qld.
- Smorgon Steel Contemporary Art Prize, Customs Wharf Gallery, Williamstown, Vic.
- Undercurrent, site specific environmental art installations on Yarra River, Warrandyte, Vic.
- Toorak Village Sculpture Festival. Toorak, Melbourne, Vic
- Strand Ephemera, Perc Tucker Regional Gallery, Townsville, Qld
- Broken Hill Outback art prize exhibition, Broken Hill Regional Gallery, NSW
- Toorak Village Sculpture Festival. Toorak, Melbourne, Vic
- Stony Creek Environmental Art Event. Maribyrnong, Vic
- Hearing Place, curated by Ros Bandt. Yarra Sculpture Space, Melbourne,
- Passage: CSA St. Kilda Botanical Gardens, Melbourne.
- Artscapes: Sustainable Living Festival. Federation Square, Melbourne.
- Environmental Acts: Maroondah Art Gallery.
- Race to Create: Nillumbik Ephemeral Art Prize, Vic.
- CSA @ St Kilda Botanical Gardens, Melbourne.
- A Melbourne Summer, Urban Art Bus Shelter, Flinders St., Melbourne
- The Floating Land: International Site Specific Art Laboratory, Noosa, Qld.
- The Lie of the Land, Gabriel Gallery, Footscray Community Arts Centre
- Stockpile, Linden Contemporary Art Gallery, St Kilda (solo)
- The Keith & Elisabeth Murdoch Travelling Fellowship Exhibition, VCA
- Recent Graduates, Emerging Artists, Arts Victoria, Melbourne.
- Mildura Palimpsest, #4, Mildura, Victoria. Large outdoor installation on landscape.
- ANZ Fellowship Art Award Exhibition, ANZ Collins St, Melbourne.
- Parlourama, Latrobe Street Gallery, Melbourne
- Journey into Eccentricity, Montsalvat, Melbourne.
- Hermanns Art Award, Mornington & Span Galleries, Victoria
Awards and Scholarships
- Arts SA, Independent Makers Grant, 2013 and 2015
- Qantas Foundation Contemporary Art Travel Award, SA recipient , 2011
- Australia Council Grant for New Work (established), 2011
- Joyner Postgraduate Research Scholarship, University of SA, 2007 to 2010
- SASA Postgraduate Research Travelling Scholarship, 2007
- 2004, Smorgon Steel Contemporary Art Prize Exhibition. Highly Commended award
- 2002, Nillumbik Ephemeral Art Prize, First Prize.
- 1999, Friends of the VCA Grant
- 1994 & 1995 Harry Curtis Prize (Victorian College of the Arts)
- 1995, Walker Ceramic Award, First Prize (National Graduate Award)
Residencies and Travel
- 2014 -2016 Travel to Ireland to research heritage and post-famine disaspora for Border Crossings exhibition with support from Arts SA and Australia Council funds.
- 2011-2013 International travel for research to UK, Scotland, Arizona, Los Angeles & New York with support of grants from Qantas Foundation Award and Australia Council.
- Clay Alchemy: Cultural Exchange to Thailand, 2006 with support of Thai Australia Foundation.
- Bundanon Residency, NSW, 2002
- Floating Land Project, International Site Specific Art Lab, Noosa, Qld, 2001
Conference & Symposium Presentations
- FRAN Fest, Art Gallery of SA, 2017.
- Critical Heritage Conference, ANU, Canberra, 2014
- Conciliation Narratives in Settler Societies, National Museum of Australia, 2010
- Double Visions: Biennial Australian Studies Conference. Sydney University, 2010
- AAANZ, Tradition and Change: Adelaide University, 2010
- Twisting Mirrors: Post-graduate research symposium with Professor Michael Taussig, University of South Australia, 2010
- Poetics Ecologies: Nature as Text and Text as Nature, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, 2008
- Higher Degree by Research Forum, Division of Education, Arts and Social Sciences, UniSA, 2008
- Verge, Panel Presentation “‘process vs product’ making work in response to the environment.” National Ceramics Conference, 14-17 May, Brisbane, 2006
Media reviews & catalogue essays.
- Silent Nature, Lara Merrington, Jam Factory catalogue essay, 2016.
- Art Guide, Jane Llewellyn, June, 2016.
- Testing Ground. Amy Jacket, Artlink (reviews), 2013, V33,2. P 132.
- A Knack for Mining, Lisa Slade, The Adelaide Review, April 2013, p 32.
- Encounter with the New, New New. Wendy Walker in chameleon from the ashes. CACSA@70, 2012. P71-86.
- Critics Choice, Lisa Slade, Australian Art Collector, June, 2012, pp 150-3
- Naturally Disturbed, Annika Evans, Eyeline (reviews), 72, 2010.
- A Cautionary Tale, Stephanie Radok, Adelaide Review, April 2010
- Yardea; A Frontier, Philip Jones, SASA catalogue essay, 2010
- Re>Growth..Imag.in.ing Nature, Jessica Campbell, localART, #17, Dec 2004.
- Up,Paul Magee, catalogue essay for Environmental Acts, Maroondah art Gallery, 2004
- From Earth to Art and back to Earth, Jan O’Neill, Art Streams, May/June 2003, p11/12.
- Stony Creek Environmental Art Project, Penny Algar, CSA News, May 2003
- Hearing Place, Joel Crotty, The Age, Melbourne, March, 2003.
- Living the Lie of the Land, Juliet Peers, Artlink, V22#2, 2002,p63.,
- Lie of the Land, exhibition catalogue, Footscray Community Arts Centre, 2001.
- Back To Basics, Tempe MacGowan, Art Monthly, March, 2002, p30.
- Lightness Captivates Unwary Park Visitor, Victoria Hobday, CSA News, 6/3/02.
- Horns of Dilemma, Yarra Leader, 4/2/02
- Arts Accordian, Arts Victoria, 2001.
- Artistic Look at Land and Identity, Melissa Iaria, The Mail, Oct. 2001
- Mildura Palimpsest #4. Artlink, V21 #2, 2001.
- Recent Graduates, Emerging Artists. Arts View, Arts Victoria, Vol 2 #2, 2001.
- Provocative Parlour Game, Penny Webb, The Age, December, 2000.
Authored texts and presentations
- Buring pipe Collection: A Feminist Guide to Pipe Smoking for FRAN Festival, SA.
- Memory State, catalogue essay for Tamara Baillie’s exhibition The Driest State at CACSA Project Space, 2016.
- Dark Manners, craft + design enquiry: issue 7, 2015
- ‘Reimagining the Pastoral Frontier’, chapter in Kate Darian Smith and Penelope Edmonds (eds) Conciliation on Colonial Frontiers: Conflict, Performance, and Commemoration in Australia and the Pacific Rim. Melbourne University, Routledge, NY, 2015
- Cover credit, Islands and Archipelagos, Southerly Journal, V72, 3, UNSW, Sydney
- Drawn in, Sue Kneebone, Seedling Artspace catalogue essay, July 2012
- Inland Memories, Sue Kneebone, SASA catalogue essay for Naturally Disturbed, 2010. UniSA.
- Mapping Identity. Sue Kneebone, exhibition review in Craft, Vol 29, #238, 1999. Craft Victoria.
- Japanese Contemporary Ceramics: The Japan Foundation Travelling Exhibition. Sue Kneebone, VCG Newsletter, 261, 1997
- Marea Gazzard: Annual Craft Victoria Lecture. Sue Kneebone, VCG Newsletter, 261, 1997